Did you guess it from the picture? That’s right, one of my favorite home remedies for the cold & flu is some delightful elderberry syrup! The active ingredient, elderberry, is an effective plant used to treat colds, flu, coughs, bacterial and viral infections, and tonsilitis. In fact, this lovely little plant was used to treat the flu epidemic in Panama in 1951.
This simple recipe calls for items that can be found in a grocery or health food store. If you have trouble locating elderberries, try an apothecary store or a Chinese herbal store. Alright let’s get to the recipe!
2/3 cup elderberries
1/3 cup ginger
1/3 cup licorice root (optional)
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of cinnamon stick or powder
1 cup of raw, local honey
3 1/5 cups of water
1. Mix all ingredients (except for honey) in a medium saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat.
2. Let simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Strain liquid out, dispose of remaining tidbits or use as compost.
4. Let liquid completely cool. Add honey.
5. Store in an air-tight container and keep refrigerated. Syrup can be stored up to a month.